Located near the village of Pauillac in the Médoc region to the north-west of Bordeaux, the estate was first the property of Gombaud de Lafite in 1234. In the 17th century, the Château was purchased by the Ségur family and later by James Mayer Rothschild in 1868.
Although vines almost certainly already existed on the site, around 1680, Jacques de Ségur planted the majority of the vineyard. In the 18th century, Nicolas-Alexandre, marquis de Ségur refined the wine-making process and introduced his wines to high level of quality and prestige.
The final blend is generally composed of Cabernet Sauvignon (between 80% and 95%), Merlot (5% - 20% ) and up to 3% Cabernet Franc and Petit Verdot.